Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Monday 5 November 2012

Slow cooked lemon and thyme chicken


This recipe is for a whole chicken cooked in a slow cooker, which gives the most beautifully tender and flavoursome meat with minimal effort.




Tools and ingredients

3.5l slow cooker
1 medium chicken (approximately 3.5lb in weight)
1 lemon - zested and then cut into quarters
Fresh or dried thyme
1 onion - cut in half with the skin left on
50 ml water
Salt and pepper

Instructions

1.  In the bottom of the slow cooker crockery, put the onion and lemon so that you create a trivet for the chicken


2.  Place the chicken on top, then sprinkle with the lemon zest, thyme, salt and pepper


3.  Put the water in the bottom of the pan to help create a little steam, then put the lid on and set on low. Leave to cook for about 8 hours.

At the end of this time you will have a chicken that can literally be taken apart with a spoon.  Be careful when taking the chicken out of the slow cooker, as it will break apart very easily.  I use two large slotted spoons to do this


Serve on a bed of rocket with a warm honey and mustard vinagrette and roasted root vegetables

No comments:

Post a Comment