Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Sunday 10 April 2011

Chilli muffins and red velvet cupcakes

Had another baking day today, so grabbed the Hummingbird cookbook and got to work.  First of all the savoury - I'm not a fan of savoury cakes, but my husband is willing to try (nearly) anything.    The first batch was a cheese, sweetcorn and chilli muffin.


They were made according to the recipe - verdict from Bart?  They need a little something extra, maybe salt.  The recipe only asks for 1/8th of a teaspoon, so next time I will try a little more and see if it helps.

Next was the sweet.  Here I chose the red velvet cupcakes - what seems to be Hummingbirds signature cupcake.  It was the first time I had used soda bicarb and vinegar as the raising agent, but they came out very well if I do say so myself!

Verdict?  The recipe makes too much frosting, and the frosting is a bit too sweet for my taste, so will attempt to reduce this next time.  The cake itself is lovely and light - and very very red.



No comments:

Post a Comment