Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Sunday 23 January 2011

Rack of lamb and chocolate pots

Every now and then I decide to cook a 'posh' dinner on a saturday night (I don't do it too often, otherwise we would be the size of a house!!).  This week I did a rack of lamb with a red wine sauce, crushed new potatoes and peas, with chocolate orange pots for dessert

Rack of lamb with crushed new potatoes


Serves 2

Ingredients

1 rack of lamb (6 cutlets)
10-12 new potatoes
1/2 bottle red wine
1 shallot or red onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
Butter
Rosemary
Frozen peas or petit pois
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Redcurrant jelly

1.  Put the oven on to warm up 180 degrees c and put an oven dish in

2.  Heat up a large frying pan with a knob of butter and a little olive oil to stop the butter burning

3.  Prepare the lamb by scoring through the skin and fat in a diamond pattern.  This will help the fat to render out, then season with salt and pepper

4.  Put the lamb skin side down into the frying pan, to crisp, and then turn to brown the meat

5.  Once this is done, put it in the oven for 22 minutes (for medium rare)

6.  Whilst this is cooking, put your potatoes into hot water and cook for 15 minutes

7.  In the pan that you browned the lamb in, soften your chopped onion or shallot, and add your garlic

8.  Once these have softened, add your 1/2 bottle of red wine and a large spoon of redcurrent jelly.  Also add a sprig of rosemary (or a sprinkle if using dried)

9.  Reduce this down until about 1/3 the volume

10.  Once you have taken your meat out, let it rest for about 10 minutes, then carve into individual cutlets

11.  Pour any juices into your sauce and stir through with a knob of butter

12. Put your peas on to cook whilst finishing your potatoes

13.  Drain your potatoes, put back into the pan and lightly break with a fork.

14.  Put a nice slosh of olive oil into the sauce pan, season with salt and black pepper, put the lid back on and shake

15.  To serve - put your potatoes on to the middle of the plate, put your cutlets on top, and your peas to one side.  Spoon some of the red wine sauce over your cutlets and put some extra on the side of the plate


The chocolate pots were a Jamie Oliver recipe from the Jamie Oliver 30 minute meals cookbook, so I won't copy the recipe here, but I used oranges as I couldn't find satsumas.  The recipe made enough for 6 espresso cups, plus some to lick out of the cooking bowl :)


I have my restaurant cooking class in a Thai restaurant this weekend, so there will be another update soon

No comments:

Post a Comment