Hello

Welcome to Yet Another Cooking Blog.

As you may have guessed, this is a blog about cooking - in particular my cooking. It has been mentioned to me several times that I seem a little obsessed with food, so I have decided to blog about my menus, my successes, my failures and anything else that springs to mind

Wednesday 12 January 2011

It helps to have risotto rice in order to make a risotto

Every week I plan what meals as a family we are going to have so that I can work out what shopping we need to buy.  When staples are used up, they are written on a white board so that we know in the next shop what we need to add in addition to the menu items.

So why didn't I have any risotto rice this evening?

Anyway, in order to get some supper I used paella rice instead.  It is a similar round grain rice, but doesn't go quite as creamy as a nice arborio rice does.  It worked, I ate it and it was tasty.

Prawn and pea risotto with Scallops

Serves 2

200g arborio rice
1 pint chicken stock
1 small glass of white wine (warmed)
1 clove garlic
1 banana shallot
50g frozen peas (I prefer petit pois)
100g cooked and peeled prawns
Parmesan cheese
Butter
Olive oil
6 scallops
Salt and pepper


1.  In a saute pan with a lid, put a slosh of olive oil.

2.  Soften the shallot and garlic in the oil (keep it gently so it doesn't colour).

3.  Once the shallot has softened, put the rice into the pan and stir until it becomes translucent.

4.  Once the rice is translucent, put in the warmed white wine, and stir until the wine is absorbed.

5.  Once the wine is finished, continue this with the chicken stock, one ladle at a time, continuing to stir.

6.  Test the rice occasionally to get to your preference (slightly al dente or creamy).

7.  Once the stock is absorbed (or slightly before if you prefer al dente) add the prawns, the peas and a knob of butter.  Stir the butter through, turn the heat right down and put the lid on to keep warm and to heat the peas and prawns through whilst cooking the scallops.

8.  In a frying pan add a knob of butter and a little olive oil to stop the butter burning.

9.  When the butter is bubbling, add the scallops, and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute per side (depending on how big they are).  they should be nicely caramelised.

10.  Taste the rice, add salt and pepper to taste.

11.  Serve the rice in a bowl with the scallops on top, with grated parmesan (optional) and a nice rocket salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment